Tuesday 15 October 2013

Gettysburg - Lee's Grand Attack

A couple of weeks ago I managed to get away and play a big game of 15mm American Civil War using Fire and Fury with a few of my old gaming buddies.  The game was taken from the scenario in the rulebook covering the second day of the battle.

I had command of V Corps under Sykes and planned to advance up to secure Little Round Top whilst III Corps under Sickles delayed the Confederates.  Unfortunately things didn't quite go as planned with Johnny Reb cutting through Sickle's Corps like a hot knife through butter (not least as a result of some rather interesting dice rolls!).  I just managed to get my advanced units onto Little Round Top and threw back the first wave of the Rebels; however, I wasn't so lucky with the second and I was then on the back foot throughout the rest of the game.

There was a fascinating ebb and flow in the fight for Culp's Hill and Cemetery Hill at the other end of the table but the collapse of our wing rather swung the battle in favour of the Confederacy.

Here are a few photos from the game:

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful pics Al, love the batllefield...and the musicians too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Phil. The little vignettes belong to my friend Sam and they do add a certain something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent pictures.
    Thanks for sharing them

    Cheers

    Seb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Sean - it was a fun game to play - even if the dice gods weren't with me! :-)

      Delete